Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 21:38:44 +0100 (MET)
From:      Robert Eckardt <roberte@mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
To:        LARRYD@bldg1.croute.com (Larry Dolinar)
Cc:        owner-questions@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disappointed by lack of ATAPI/IDE CD-ROM support

> This may have (and probably has been) mentioned before: FreeBSD is much more
> standards-driven than, say, Linux.  End users often make the argument that
> because something works with DOS/Win3.1/Win95, why doesn't it work with
> this?

I didn't read the original mail as
"My ATAPI-CDROM isn't recognized when I booted 2.x.y."
but more like
"I read the READMEs and they looked the same,
 so nothing seems to have changed".

Since, even on the 2.1.5 install disk some screens refer to 2.1.0,
I think one can easily mislead by a casual look at the READMEs.

Just my 0.03 DM

Robert

--
Robert Eckardt                \\ FreeBSD -- solutions for a large universe.(tm)
RobertE@MEP.Ruhr-Uni-Bochum.de \\       What do you want to boot tomorrow ?(tm)