Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 19:08:36 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de
Subject:   Re: Can I write Audio CDs?

As Martin Cracauer wrote:

> The subject says it all: Can I write Audio CDs using FreeBSD?

In theory: yes.

> I want to make new collections of songs, so I need some software to
> build and image from different audio tracks.

You don't need to build an `image', all you need is the raw audio
data, 44 kHz sample rate, two-channel, 16-bit.  One file per track.
(Big-endian encoded, i think.)

Alas, i have heard from those folks using an HP 4020i, that they're
getting a ``Command sequence error'' with the current worm driver when
writing audio tracks.  I have no experiences myself with the Plasmon
driver either, i wanna read CD-DA's first.

The HP problem can only be solved by somebody with a 4020i, by
comparing the commands issued step by step with their SCSI reference
docs.  Sorry, i don't have the HP ref.  To the best of my knowledge,
the sequence for the Plasmon should be in accordance with the Plasmon
ref.

--
cheers, J"org