Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 13:14:18 -0800
From:      "Dennis Glatting" <dennisg@penx.com>
To:        <des@ofug.org>, "Charlie Root" <root@penx.com>
Cc:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: ftp in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense.

> Charlie Root <root@penx.com> writes:
> > granny# mk
> http://www.kernelnotes.de/MySQL/Downloads/MySQL-3.23/.
> > Requesting
> http://www.kernelnotes.de/MySQL/Downloads/MySQL-3.23/mysql-3.23.32.tar.gz
> > ftp: Error retrieving file: 404 Not Found
> >
> > ftp in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense.
> > Segmentation fault - core dumped
> > Requesting
> http://www.mysql.net/Downloads/MySQL-3.23/mysql-3.23.32.tar.gz
>
> Why are you using ftp(1) to fetch ports instead of fetch(1) which is
> the default? Don't even think about it - ftp(1)'s HTTP support is
> symbolic at best. It pretends to be an HTTP/1.0 client, but in
> practice is little more than an HTTP/0.9 client using HTTP/1.0 request
> syntax.

Ah.

I am using FTP because FETCH often has trouble going through proxies. Here,
FTP is allowed out but web traffic must go through a proxy for audit. FETCH
tries to FTP through the proxy because the HTTP_PROXY variable is set.
Admittedly, I haven't tried FETCH in over a month.

The proxy is Squid 2.3.