Date:      Wed, 9 Sep 2020 16:34:47 -0400
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: tracking -current, using poudriere-devel and the switch to git

On Wed, 9 Sep 2020 at 15:00, tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What's the repo to use now in order to track -current with a poudriere jail
> via git ? i.e. in poudriere.conf, what is GIT_BASEURL ?

svn is still the canonical repo.

If you want to help test the Git migration work in progress, the repos are
https://cgit-beta.freebsd.org/doc.git
https://cgit-beta.freebsd.org/src.git
https://cgit-beta.freebsd.org/ports.git
Branch name is "main"

The hashes in these repos will change at least once more to clean up
some broken metadata from the svn mirror process.

If you want to use Git with repos that will remain consistent (hashes
will not change) for the immediate future, use the GitHub mirror
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-doc
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports
Branch is "master"

> If -current fails to compile, how do we reference it? In svn, I'd point svn
> info at the sources and it would give a revision number. How is this done with
> git?

>From the rev-parse man page:
| Print the object name of the current commit:
|
| $ git rev-parse --verify HEAD

> At the moment, is svn behind git in terms of most recent updates, or the other
> way round?

Today the canonical src, doc, and ports repos are ahead; GitHub and
cgit-beta are behind to varying degrees.