Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 12:56:11 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        vanmaren@fast.cs.utah.edu (Kevin Van Maren), freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lots 'o PCI slots

Hi,

> Vinay Bannai <vinay@agni.nuko.com> has got the i960 probed and
> attached, and was last seen asking after gcc for the i960 (GCC
> does support the i960, in case you were wondering).
>
> So I kind of doubt it will take "a year or two".  ;-).
>

> What I think is more interesting is if you could run the i960
> as the default processor -- an i960 port of FreeBSD.  8-).

I'm ignorant of the I2O/i960 hardware setup, but I believe the i960 has an
onboard APIC interrupt controller.  Do such motherboards require the use
of the APICs to handle the concept of driver offloading?  If so, as the person
writing most of the SMP APIC code, it might be a good idea for me to find
out more so that I can consider this issue when making arch. decisions...

--
Steve Passe	| powered by