Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 1998 09:14:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      zawada@ncsa.uiuc.edu
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   kern/7927: Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode; Supervisor read: Page not present

>Number:         7927
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode; Supervisor read: Page not present
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical

System Panics with the following message:

fault virtual address= 0x0
fault code= supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer= 0x8:0xf5b76c97
stack pointer        = 0x10:0xf01b7ef8
frame pointer        = 0x10:0xf01b7f04
code segment= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process= Idle
interrupt mask=
panic: page fault

My problem seems to be similar others in the PR database.
e.g. kern/7611, kern/5994, kern/3150, kern/3072

Note that I need to use a custom kernel so that I can add the HARP
ATM network driver as ATM is the only network I have available to me.

Another interesting aspect to this problem is that it only started
occurring after I physically moved the machine.  This kernel did work
at one time but something has made it unstable, but I can't pin it down.
I've tested memory and disabled swap but have been unable to find
what has made the system break.  Any hints would be appreciated.

>How-To-Repeat:

The problem is occurring about 5-15 minutes after every time I boot.
The kernel configuration I'm using is shown below.

machine         "i386"
cpu             "I386_CPU"
cpu             "I486_CPU"
cpu             "I586_CPU"
cpu             "I686_CPU"
ident           ZAWADACACHE
maxusers        10

#options                COMCONSOLE
options         "MAXMEM=(512*1024)"
options         INET                    #InterNETworking
options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem
options         "COMPAT_43"             #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options         SCSI_DELAY=5            #Be pessimistic about Joe SCSI device
options         UCONSOLE                #Allow users to grab the console
options         FAILSAFE                #Be conservative
options         USERCONFIG              #boot -c editor
options         VISUAL_USERCONFIG       #visual boot -c editor
options         ATM                     # HARP ATM support for FORE ATM card

config          kernel  root on sd0

controller      isa0
controller      pci0

controller      fdc0    at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk            fd0     at fdc0 drive 0
disk            fd1     at fdc0 drive 1

controller      ahc0
controller      ahc1

controller      scbus0 at ahc1          # Single bus device
controller      scbus1 at ahc0          # Single bus device
disk            sd0 at scbus0 target 2
disk            sd1 at scbus0 target 3
disk            sd2 at scbus0 target 4
disk            sd3 at scbus1 target 0
disk            sd4 at scbus1 target 1

device          sd0

device          od0     #See LINT for possible `od' options.

device          st0

device          cd0     #Only need one of these, the code dynamically grows

device          sc0     at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr

# Mandatory, don't remove
device          npx0    at isa? port "IO_NPX" flags 0x1 irq 13 vector npxintr

device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device          sio1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr

device          lpt0    at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr

# Order is important here due to intrusive probes, do *not* alphabetize
# this list of network interfaces until the probes have been fixed.
# Right now it appears that the ie0 must be probed before ep0. See
# revision 1.20 of this file.
device de0
device fxp0
device tx0
device vx0
device hfa0     # HARP FORE ATM device support

pseudo-device   loop
pseudo-device   ether
pseudo-device   log
pseudo-device   sl      1
pseudo-device   ppp     1
pseudo-device   vn      1
pseudo-device   tun     1
pseudo-device   pty     16
pseudo-device   gzip            # Exec gzipped a.out's

# KTRACE enables the system-call tracing facility ktrace(2).
# This adds 4 KB bloat to your kernel, and slightly increases
# the costs of each syscall.
options         KTRACE          #kernel tracing

# This provides support for System V shared memory.
#
options         SYSVSHM