Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 17:05:55 -0400
From:      "Eric W. Bates" <ericx@vineyard.net>
To:        FengYue <fengyue@bluerose.windmoon.nu>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD & MySQL

We are using MySql to track our web log.  We have gone as high as 20 M
hits in a week.  We try to maintain 6 weeks of data.

We found the limiting factor to be disk IO.  We eventually built a
small ccd of 2 disks working off an Adaptec U2W controller for the db
files. This improved performance an order of magnitude or so over a
single spindle for the entire machine running off a UW controller.

We are also running the 3.23 version of the code because it has better
multi-threading support and a new ISAM file format which allows
non-blocking queries to the same table. I believe it is still alpha
code, but has worked well for us.

Bear in mind that mysql does not support transactions and probably
never will. Mysql does not support triggers either. There are other
"missing" pieces which might frustrate a programmer used to the
commercial products.