Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 1996 23:07:56 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: CPU heatsinks

Hi,

> I was messing around with my new motherboard, getting it into the new
> case, and one of the two heatsinks popped off.  Understand it's a dual
> Pentium Pro system, with heat sinks definitely larger than the old
> Pentiums.  I noticed on taking a very, very careful closer look, that the
> heatsinks had been installed sans the usual white silicone heatsink
> compound, which I have on hand (having used on previous systems).  Is
> there some reason on the PPro that the silicone hadn't been applied, or
> should I neatly smear some on?

I wouldn't do it till you've got a couple days burnin.  For one thing it wont
hurt to run a little hotter while checking for hardware flakyness.  Also dont
want to give the vendor any excuse for not taking it back.  I have found that
this stuff tends to "bake" over long periods of time and become more like
glue than paste.  I once had a fan go after several years and literally had
to use a screwdriver to break it off the chip, not a lot of fun!
Just make sure it gets good mechanical contact when you reinstall it.

Oh, one other thing, b4 you do appply it record ALL the numbers & wordage
you see on the top of the chip (& bottom while your at it).  As you will
be helping with the SMP kernel we may want to know these for checking
against errata sometime in the future (you did volunteer to walk on the
bloody edge, didn't you?)

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD