Date:      Tue, 08 Oct 2002 10:10:03 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Tom Carrick <knyghtmare@knyghtmare.com>
Cc:        Adam Weinberger <adam@vectors.cx>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: portupgrade problem

> From: Tom Carrick <knyghtmare@knyghtmare.com>
> Date: 08 Oct 2002 12:56:36 +0100
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> That worked great, thanks. Can you give me some explanation on why (and
> how) this happens, and in what way it messes up?

When portupgrade is editing/modifying the ports database (not the
package database), it is subject to leaving the DB in a corrupt
condition if it is interrupted during the update. This includes a
crash.

portsdb -u is "smart" in that it check timestamps to see if a port has
changed since the db was last updated and, after corruption of this
sort, it thinks that the DB is current and does nothing. -f says to
force a update of the DB regardless of the timestamp, so that fixes
this sort of thing.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)