Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 12:02:20 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        <GLOBALLINK2001@aol.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD versus Linux

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001 GLOBALLINK2001@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/22/01 3:41:36 AM Central Standard Time,
> cliff@raggedclown.net writes:
>
> << Linux is a UNIX lookalike operating system. It was written from scratc=
>  (more or less) as a project at a University on or around 1990. It has
>  since grown way beyond that. Having said that from a user perspective
>  it is as much like "real" Unix as anything else with that claim. >>
>
> Sir i must disagree with you there:
> as you said BSD was around allmost at the beggining of UNIX, in fact anyo=
ne
> who knows there history will tell you without BSD's contributions UNIX ma=
> have died out,
> BSD has the sweetest network stack in the biz, hell BSD damn near invente=
> TCP/IP, BSD is a direct decendant of AT&T UNIX, and is not called UNIX
> because of copyright issues.
>
> Linux was developed totally from the ground up. It contains not one stich=
 of
> UNIX code nor did Linus have any around to base it on. Saying it has just=
 as
> much a right to be called UNIX as FreeBSD is simply an inaccurate stateme=
nt

I agree. The influence of BSD on modern UNIX has been very strong. BSD and
System V UNIX have been a model for Linus Thorvalds.

Regards

Konrad Heuer                                    Personal Bookmarks:
Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche
   Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen              http://www.freebsd.org
Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen                   http://www.daemonnews.o=
rg