Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 14:36:12 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        help_me@sapphire.rajabhat.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to use ID login more than 8 Character?

root wrote:

> I 'm very happy to use FreeBSD but I have any question about login name.
> When I see many websites. I don't know why they can use login name more
> than 8 character but i can't do on my FreeBSD system. Please tell me
> that how can i do that.

	Assuming that you are using 2.2.x-Stable, the following is the info you
need.

Good luck,

Doug

        You will need to change a couple files and use "make world" to
recompile the system for the larger usernames. Any third party utilities
that use usernames like ssh or xterm will also have to be recompiled
after the make world is done. The good news is that it works just fine,
I have been running -Stable with 16 char usernames for over a year now.

In /usr/src/sys/sys/param.h:
change MAXLOGNAME to 18

In /usr/src/include/utmp.h:
change UT_NAMESIZE to 16

If you need help with the make world, take a look at
http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html and click on the Upgrading FreeBSD from
source (using make world) tutorial. After you're done with this some
utilities like adduser and rmuser will have to be modified by hand to
support the long usernames, but we're working on making these fewer and
farther between as time goes on. :)