Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 09:37:26 +0200
From:      Jos Vissers <jos@tunix.nl>
To:        lorenzo <lorenzo@transbay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disconnect and setup not answered

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 07:09:23PM +0000, lorenzo wrote:
> now, the suggestion: since I have no way to know in advance my isp remote
> address when they assign my dynamic ip address, I was lost: I had to go
> trough the source code and find out that if I put as the remote address
> 0.0.0.1 I'll be able to use any ip which is assigned to me, as in
>
> ifconfig isp0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.255 up
>
> ...now, I haven't find it in ANY of the faq/documentation, so either I
> missed it or it would be better to write it down somewhere.

from sppp(4):
[...]
     It is possible to leave the local interface IP address open for negotia-
     tion by setting it to 0.0.0.0.  This requires that the remote peer can
     correctly supply a value for it based on the identity of the caller, or
     on the remote address supplied by this side.  Due to the way the IPCP op-
     tion negotiation works, this address is being supplied late during the
     negotiation, which might cause the remote peer to make wrong assumptions.

     In a similar spirit the remote address can be set to the magical value
     0.0.0.1 which means that we don't care what address the remote side will
     use, as long as it is not 0.0.0.0.  This is useful if your ISP has sever-
     al dial-in servers.  You can of course route add something or other
     0.0.0.1 and it will do exactly what you would want it to.
[...]

Jos

--
Jos Vissers