Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 1996 19:30:34 -0500
From:      Andrew Herdman <andrew@whine.com>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        Brian Tao <taob@io.org>, FREEBSD-HACKERS-L <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Changing Ethernet frame size to 576 bytes?

Actually Brian is having a fragment problem, this is from the IRC server
machine which I run the IRC server on:

ip:
        44034396 total packets received
        0 bad header checksums
        0 with size smaller than minimum
        0 with data size < data length
        0 with header length < data size
        0 with data length < header length
        0 with bad options
        0 with incorrect version number
        245769 fragments received
        0 fragments dropped (dup or out of space)
        1886 fragments dropped after timeout
        39671 packets reassembled ok
        43571756 packets for this host
        256542 packets for unknown/unsupported protocol
        0 packets forwarded
        0 packets not forwardable
        0 redirects sent
        40712754 packets sent from this host
        816 packets sent with fabricated ip header
        0 output packets dropped due to no bufs, etc.
        13 output packets discarded due to no route
        20314 output datagrams fragmented
        91863 fragments created
        0 datagrams that can't be fragmented

Quite a bit really, perhaps Brian should drop it down to 1006.  On my
workstation at work I get the following, although not much traffic has
occured since the last boot:

ip:
        281116 total packets received
        0 bad header checksums
        0 with size smaller than minimum
        79 with data size < data length
        0 with header length < data size
        0 with data length < header length
        0 with bad options
        0 with incorrect version number
        0 fragments received
        0 fragments dropped (dup or out of space)
        0 fragments dropped after timeout
        0 packets reassembled ok
        276621 packets for this host
        335 packets for unknown/unsupported protocol
        0 packets forwarded
        4081 packets not forwardable
        0 redirects sent
        702701 packets sent from this host
        0 packets sent with fabricated ip header
        0 output packets dropped due to no bufs, etc.
        0 output packets discarded due to no route
        0 output datagrams fragmented
        0 fragments created
        0 datagrams that can't be fragmented

Andrew