Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 1997 19:11:38 -0500
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, jmg@nike.efn.org
Subject:   Re: Partition naming [Was: Adding Hard Drives - Prepping]

 >> You might like to pass it on that DOS can support up to 32 drive letters.
 >> You get drives A..Z, then "[\]^_`" This is true for any MS-DOS from 3.20
 > Ah, but that still makes only 31, right (the @ is missing to make it
 > 32)?

I am told that a full 32 is supported, but not all 32 can be parsed.
Under Novell, I am told, only [A-Z] is supported.  (I have not
attempted to confirm this.)

 > Ok, i've realized that we ``only'' support 30 slices either.

Per partition?  And are there any static limits on the mount table
size?  I would say that this would closer resemble the drive letter
issue than slices per partition.

And the first one to tell me to RTFS gets my poor crashed dev machine
thrown in their face.

 >> on up. I can't speak for any DOS clones however. And yes, DOS will parse
 >> "\:filename.ext" correctly. =)
 > Ick! :)

We will, of course, refrain from casting aspersions on the number of
*apps* that will properly parse such a construct.

--
http://www.wp.com/piquan --- Joel Ray Holveck --- joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu
All my opinions are my own, not the FSF's, my employer's, or my dog's.

Fourth law of computing:
  Anything that can go wro
.signature: segmentation violation -- core dumped