Date:      6 Jun 2012 02:05:14 -0000
From:      Scott Ballantyne <sdb@ssr.com>
To:        Walter Hurry <walterhurry@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD9 - I can't get my mouse to work

 Walter Hurry <walterhurry@gmail.com> writes:

> Firstly, sorry if this is a bit of a newbie question. I am quite new to
> FreeBSD (though fairly experienced at Linux). Almost everything in FreeBSD
> is fine, except that no matter what I try I cannot get the (USB) mouse to
> work.
>
> I have scoured the handbook, and Googled, but to no avail.
>
> This is 9.0-RELEASE on amd64 - fully updated.
>
> I don't need the mouse in consoles, but I do want it in X.

The clue here is 'fully updated'. The latest hald has a bug that keeps
the mouse from working. If you look in your X.org.0.log you may find
a section which says that /dev/ums, configured by hal, is busy, and
unloads the mouse. If you don't find that, then ignore the rest of
this email :)

There are various "solutions" to this, one is to disable the auto
configure, and add the configuration for both keyboard and mouse to
the .conf file.  Another is to restart dbus and hald. You can switch
to a console window from X and run this command:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/dbus restart && /usr/local/etc/rc.d/hald restart

If that fixes it, then you can automate it by putting something like
this in /usr/local/etc/rc.d , call it haldfixbug or something like
that:

----------
#!/bin/sh
#
# PROVIDE: HALD_FIX_BUG
# REQUIRE: hald dbus
#

[ "$1" = start ] && /usr/local/etc/rc.d/dbus restart && /usr/local/etc/rc.d/hald restart && echo "DBUS HALD BUG FIX ATTEMPTED"
[ "$1" = faststart ] && /usr/local/etc/rc.d/dbus restart && /usr/local/etc/rc.d/hald restart && echo "DBUS HALD BUG FIX ATTEMPTED"
sleep 5
exit 0

This might not work if you use startx, but should be ok with xdm or
gdm. It works for me, maybe not for you.

Best,
Scott
--
sdb@ssr.com