Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 16:11:21 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Thomas H. Ptacek" <tqbf@enteract.com>
To:        fenner@parc.xerox.com (Bill Fenner)
Cc:        fenner@parc.xerox.com, tqbf@enteract.com, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More netinet suser() stuff...

> Check again.  s is an IPPROTO_ICMP socket, sndsock is an IPPROTO_RAW
> socket.  If it fails to look up "icmp" in /etc/protocols, then it
> opens no sockets at all.

You're obviously right. Sorry about the confusion.

Without any modifications to my kernel, traceroute continues to work using
the same socket for sending and receiving (sndsock = s). I'll try
returning EACCESS in the raw IP code for !IPPROTO_RAW and see if that
breaks traceroute now.

Thomas Ptacek at EnterAct, L.L.C., Chicago, IL [tqbf@enteract.com]
"If you're so special, why aren't you dead?"