Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2001 19:26:07 +0300 (MSK)
From:      .@babolo.ru
To:        will@physics.purdue.edu
Cc:        clefevre@poboxes.com, dan@langille.org, will@physics.purdue.edu, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: where to put tmp files for security/logcheck

Will Andrews writes:
> On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 06:16:27AM +0100, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:
> > I'm against that. what's happen if /usr/local is nfs mounted. hugh!
> > "local" temp files may clash w/ "local" files from other machines.
> > IMHO, /var/tmp is the best place for temp files, even for ports.
> >
> > not all ports respect that. I'm thinking to cups in particulary.
> >
> > @dirrm var/log/cups
> > @dirrm var/spool/cups/tmp
> > @dirrm var/spool/cups
> >
> > should be /var/...
>
> NO!  I will not have ports touching ANYTHING outside of ${PREFIX}!
> PLEASE!  If anything, a new variable for tempish dir for packages should
> be created.... but NOT this.

/usr often used in read only manner
(multiple computers with /usr -ro mounted from nfs server
or multiple jails with /usr -ro mounted from host computer.
/usr/local/tmp is the worst place IMHO.

What about using of ${TMPDIR} environment variable?
And /usr/bin/mkinittmpdir (PR bin/18275) proposed to use
in script initialization to establish ${TMPDIR}
in some proper way.

--
@BABOLO      http://links.ru/