Date:      Thu, 5 Aug 2004 00:21:48 +0200
From:      Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        adp <dap99@i-55.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and MySQL - mysqld eats CPU alive

> I've experienced this exact problem, all the way from 4.4-STABLE as well.
> The time period where the issue starts happening is very erradic, but I'm
> having the exact issue on one of my servers at this very moment. I thought
> it was just an issue with my box, and not anyone elses.

I've seen this on two machines (both 5.2). When I built mysql with
linuxthreads the problem went away.

Alternatively I've seen talk of name resolution causing problems due to a
non-thread-safe implementation of gethostbyname() - this too manifested
itself as abnormal CPU usage. In my case --skip-name-resolve didn't help, but
perhaps it might for you guys.

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller@infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org