Date:      Tue, 3 Jan 2012 16:42:04 +0100
From:      Borja Marcos <borjam@sarenet.es>
To:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Nikolay Denev <ndenev@gmail.com>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: openbgpds not talking each other since 8.2-STABLE upgrade

On Jan 3, 2012, at 4:29 PM, Ed Maste wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 09:07:56AM +0200, Nikolay Denev wrote:
>=20
>> Since I've had similar problem with Quagga after updating to =
8.2-STABLE I'd suggest
>> you to try setting "net.inet.tcp.signature_verify_input=3D0" and see =
if that would help.
>>=20
>> Here is another thread about the similar (if not the same) problem :=20=

>> =
http://groups.google.com/group/mailing.freebsd.bugs/browse_thread/thread/e=
a347a919dbc165d/eeaa2965fc4f64c9?show_docid=3Deeaa2965fc4f64c9&pli=3D1
>=20
> Thanks for the link Nikolay.
>=20
> Borja, I assume it's the PR submission form that gave you trouble -
> sorry for that.  Based on your report it sounds to me like the bug is

Yes, I was filling a very detailed report and it was lost. Quite =
annoying...

> in OpenBGPd itself.  If it works on OpenBSD with the TCP_MD5SIG option
> though I'd assume it's due to a difference in our (FreeBSD's)
> implementation of the option.  Did you look at the OpenBSD/FreeBSD
> differences in your investigation?

What I saw is that OpenBGPd *sets* the TCP_MD5SIG for the socket just to =
test if TCP_MD5 is available. Maybe in OpenBSD the behavior is different =
and unless you set the key TCP_MD5 won't be really enabled. In FreeBSD, =
the keys are set outside of your  program using setkey(8).

The second link you mention is simply a configuration problem. Unless =
you include TCP_SIGNATURE in the kernel config file, TCP_MD5 support =
will not be available.

What I observed is this: if you have TCP_MD5 correctly available in the =
system, I mean, TCP_SIGNATURE and the rest of the IPSEC support =
correctly configured into the kernel, OpenBGPd is unable to work =
*without* TCP_MD5. Quagga works, I can use TCP_MD5 or not, my choice.=20

Borja.