Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 18:58:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.org, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Subject:   Re: Trap spiffiness

On 11-Apr-01 John Baldwin wrote:

> On 11-Apr-01 Andrew Gallatin wrote:
>>
>> John Baldwin writes:
>>  > I finally got tired of needing to pull out the brown book to decode trap
>>  > messsages on the alpha, so I've coded up a patch that enhances the
>> printtrap()
>>  > function to parse the a[012] registers for a given trap and print out the
>> data
>>  > in a more meaningful fashion.  For example:
>>  >

>> Gee.. Just when I'd finally gotten them memorized ;)
>>
>> I like the patch,  I'm all in favor of you comitting it.
>> I think it might be interesting to see the user stack pointer (for
>> emulator debugging) and to have an #ifdef  SMP that printed out the
>> cpu number too.
>
> Ok, will do.

Just updated trap.patch.  It prints out the cpuid, the kernel stack pointer, and
for non-kthreads the user stack pointer now.

On a somewhat related note, 64-bit kernel addresses really screw up the output
of things like 'ps'.  Would there be any large objection to dropping the first
5 'f's, the first three '0's from kernel pointers in ps output?  Thus, instead
of:

fffffe000915e9c0
fffffc0000790000

you would get:

e915e9c0
c0790000

etc.

Granted, this is somewhat cryptic, but it would make ps work halfway decent. :-P