Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 09:49:27 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: size problems with INVARIANTS/DIAGNOSTIC -current kernels

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Doug Rabson writes:
>
>  > I'm sorry, I think I meant *vtopte(kmemusage). I need to look at the pte
>  > itself to see if its sane.
>
> I'm being extra dense too.
>
> Copyright (c) 1992-2000 The FreeBSD Project.
> Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
>         The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
> kmem_init: kmemusage = 0xfffffe0000296000
> vtopte (kmemusage) = 0xffffffff80000a58
> *(vtopte (kmemusage)) = 0x54b0003111f
>
> halted CPU 0
>

> But -- why should the pte be sane yet?  This is before the fault,
> which I thought should be the one to make it sane..

Kernel pages are generally mapped before they are used so that we don't
waste time faulting and patching the pages into the map via vm_fault().

This page is managed, wired, read/writable but is set to fault on
read/write/execute. This fault is simply to perform software accounting
for accessed and dirty flags and is probably a red herring. We need to
somehow find the fault which actually kills the machine (assuming that
this isn't the one - we need to check that).

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Phone: +44 20 8348 6160