Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2000 15:20:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        Terje Oseberg <oseberg@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache 1.3.12 Virtual Hosts on FreeBSD 4.0

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Terje Oseberg wrote:

> Thanks for your help Willem.
>
> I changed my config file to have:
> NameVirtualHost 216.15.83.94
>
> <VirtualHost alpha.etiam.net>
>   DocumentRoot /data/web/
>   ServerName alpha.etiam.net
> </VirtualHost>
>
> instead of what I had before and tried both GET queries.
> It still didn't work. What I had before does work great
> on FreeBSD 3.2 with the same version of Apache. I could
> try your changes on my 3.2 server and see if they work
> there. Do you think I should?
>
> Should this be the actual name of the virtual host and not the
> IP address? The first virtual host definition will be the default
> default site. If a client does not support HTTP/1.1 for instance
> they'll always end up on the first virtual host.

No. That is correct for Apache 1.2.x but not the way to do it in 1.3.x.

The sites' A records are pointing to a different IP address, according to
their respective primary listed nameservers:

bofh:~> nslookup www.etiam.net 207.181.192.141
Server:  hopf.dnai.com
Address:  207.181.192.141

Name:    www.etiam.net
Address:  216.15.83.74

bofh:~> nslookup www.fineworks.com 216.15.83.75
Server:  mail.etiam.net
Address:  216.15.83.75

Name:    www.fineworks.com
Address:  216.15.83.72

hth

-ac

Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
Systems Administrator                        Memphis, TN 38157
WebNet Memphis                                  (901) 432 6000
Author, The Book of IRC              http://www.bookofirc.com/