Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 22:50:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jeff Wyman <wysoft@wysoft.tzo.com>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.1.1 breakage: GUS, spash screen, CD writing

I can report the same problems with splash screens. I was previously using
a 320x200 BMP splash file with 4.1-STABLE (August 4th). After building
4.1.1-RELEASE, I noticed that my splash no longer worked. I had heard of
this in the stable list, so I just shrugged. If people are so worried,
here's some data that I haven't yet seen stated:

With a boot -v, I can see that the kernel presents some idea of what it
thinks is going on with the splash display. Output from dmesg:

--
splash: image@0xc0304178, size:64966
splash_bmp: beyond screen capacity (320x200, 228 colors)

For a breif period after the kernel & splash file profile display, the
screen goes blank, but then returns. Without boot -v, no error message is
displayed.

Now, I haven't had the time to compile a new kernel, so I would like to
know if anybody is having luck with kernels built with VESA
functionality? I can't see why all of a sudden the splash_bmp.ko module
would require VESA? It's strange, but who knows.