Date:      Sun, 8 Aug 1999 13:07:38 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        J H Mock <jmock@tampabay.rr.com>
Cc:        "ports @ freebsd . org" <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: freebsd port: isc-dhcp-2.0

> ok....I am a real new user of FreeBSD......I am trying to get my
> machine connected onto the internet.  I am using a cable modem service
> that asigns an IP with a dhcp server.  I, therefore, need to run a dhcp
> client.  I found version 2 on FreeBSD.org and I have version 1

What version of FreeBSD are you using?  (run ``uname -a'')
Version 3.2 and later has /sbin/dhclient in the base system.

> My problem is that I do not know how to enable the dhcp client.  In
> what config file do I enable it???

create a file /etc/start_if.<interface_name>  Its contents are simply:

    /sbin/dhclient <interface_name> && echo -n ' dhclient'

> I can find no mention of dhcp in the rc.conf file.  That seems to be
> where most of the networking decisions are at work.

It will be there in the future FreeBSD 3.3.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)