Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 15:43:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@revelstone.jvm.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Locked out of passwd - SOLVED

Actually, it was not broken.  I use su a lot to check out user accounts,
switch between management accounts, etc.  A client told me he was having
trouble changing the password.  And sure enough, I su'd to the account
and couldn't do it.

It turns out that when you su to another identity, you become that person
only partially.  One of the things you *cannot* do is change their
password.  The error message you get is utterly useless and misleading.

Was this documented anywhere?