Date:      Sun, 6 May 2001 09:38:25 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Gordon Tetlow" <gordont@bluemtn.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: no keyboard

> > > i have never killed a keyboard with un / plugging.
> > > at linux it works.
> > Well, it works, until your keyboard does actually break :)
>
> I've toasted lot of keyboards this way (Fujitsu POS no less). I have found
> that IBM keyboards take the punishment quite well. At least I can count on
> IBM engineering. As a result, that's the only type of kbd we keep in our
> datacenters.

While IBM keyboards are good (I've hot-plugged and otherwise abused a few in
my day), IBM computers have had their share of faulty engineering.  A high
school I worked at once had quite a problem with some IBM PS/1 desktops,
which exhibited the following traits:

- hot-plugging a keyboard would either fry the keyboard or damage the MB
(still usuable, just no KB support)
- hot-plugging a keyboard into the PS/2 mouse port (no thanks to some badly
oriented labels) would provide a few sparks, some smoke, and a toasted
keyboard and MB.

--
Matt Emmerton