Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 01:20:20 +0100 (MEZ)
From:      Robert Eckardt <roberte@MEP.Ruhr-Uni-Bochum.de>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        roberte@MEP.Ruhr-Uni-Bochum.de, uzsv2k@uni-bonn.de, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF binary type not known

It was Doug White who wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Robert Eckardt wrote:
[..]
> > > Make sure you're loading the Linux LKM through /etc/rc.conf.  You may need
> > > to run `brandelf -t Linux ldconfig' to have FreeBSD grok the emulation
> > > properly.  The options COMPAT_LINUX / LINUX_COMPAT are no longer needed,
> > > thankfully.
> >
> > Has anybody cooked a hack to avoid branding for a default type
> > of ELF binaries ?
> > Like some sysctl to set the default e.g. to Linux to say
> > "if it's ELF and you didn't find a type, assume Linux".
> > (Just to be able to install directly from CD.)
>
> The problem with this is:
>
> 1.  The Linux emulator isn't loaded by default.
This could be checked.

> 2.  We're leaving the path clear for FreeBSD-native ELF binaries and
> changing it would be a bad precedent.

Ideally, it should be possible on a per user/process basis.
The difference were the flexibility to declare a binary to be
of type X.

I am just looking for a way to temporarily "brand" an otherwise
read-only executable to be of some specific type.
Of course, I assume that FreeBSD binaries would always be properly
branded, being aware of the existing situation.

> The solution is probably closer to pointing big fingers at the
> ``linux_enable'' hook in /etc/rc.conf.  Handbook section maybe?
Sorry, I didn't get this point. ???

Robert

--
Robert Eckardt                \\ FreeBSD -- solutions for a large universe.(tm)
RobertE@MEP.Ruhr-Uni-Bochum.de \\       What do you want to boot tomorrow ?(tm)