Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2001 23:48:17 +0000
From:      Olafur Osvaldsson <oli@isnic.is>
To:        Mark Mayo <mmayo@360networks.net>
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The 4.4 FTP Release

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Mark Mayo wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 10:01:28PM +0000, Olafur Osvaldsson wrote:
> I stayed up and supervised the syncing to be ready for "the big hit", so
> I saw this change and just moved some files around without having to
> download them. Naturally, any automated scripts would have re-transfered
> one image. Buy hey, the change had to be made. It was. It was
> communicated. I don't see much reason to complain on this one. And the
> extra download of one image is hardly a worry for a mirror -- we'll
> push out that many bytes every few minutes for the next couple weeks..

I also stayed up but when without access to ftp-master it was a bit harder for
me  ;)  that is being fixed.
Regarding the iso files it didn't matter to me, but I have noticed some mirror
admins complain about the number of iso files so my guess was that they don't
like having to download them multiple times.

> > 3.  To my knowledge there were only 3 sites today (13:00 GMT) that had all of
> >     4.4 i386 iso images on their ftp server, ftp2.freebsd.org, ftp5.freebsd.org
> >     and ftp.rhnet.is, but ftp.freebsd.org didn't have all.
>
> I (ftp.ca.freebsd.org) had all the images before the announcement.
> Again, I stayed up and waited for the images to appear on ftp-master,
> downloaded everything to holding spots, and moved it all over in one go
> once I had everything. It required a few hours of my time, yes, but that
> doesn't seem unreasonable. I can spare a few hours several times a year
> to make sure releases go smoother.

Maybe more should do the same.
To many mirror admins rely solely on automated scripts to make things happen,
I understand that often it is not possible to do things otherwise but tier-1
mirrors should have dedicated admins willing to spend a little extra time around
releases.

> Overall, this release seems to be going a whole lot better than the
> 4.3 release, and I think everyone involved deserves a round of applause
> for making it happen. Especially the release engineering team.

I agree, it probably wasn't obvious in my first email but I think the people
involved in making FreeBSD and getting it to us are doing a great job, I'm
just trying to point out the rough edges and offering my help to make them
smoother.

				Oli

--
Olafur Osvaldsson