Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 1997 03:40:10 +0200
From:      Torbjorn Granlund <tege@pdc.kth.se>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   New monster server

My company intends to purchase a new compute and disk server early this
fall.  We originally intended to get an Alpha system, but it seems hard to
get a reasonable OS without paying an outrageous amount of money.  (NetBSD
might be good enough for the alpha platform; but it doesn't seem to get a
lot of usage.)

The FreeBSD SMP work is very good news, since it may enable us to stay with
FreeBSD while getting the machine power we need.  (We currently run FreeBSD
2.2.1 or 2.2.2 on seven of our eight machines.  The only non-FreeBSD machine
is a Sun...)

We would like the machine to have on the order of 25 SPECint95 (summing the
SPECint95 on the individual CPUs in case we go for an SMP solution).  So a
single CPU 21164 won't do.  A single cpu 21264 would do.  A 4 CPU
P6/200MHz/512KB would do.  (It seems difficult to get 4 CPU P6 motherboards,
since the Orion isn't made, and the 440BX is not yet available.)

I'd be interessted in hearing your comments.  Realistically, will I be able
to get a 4 CPU FreeBSD system to work well enough this fall?  If not, when
do you think that could happen?

I am willing to spend about $20000 for the hardware.  It is highly unlikely
that Digital will want to sell me a dual CPU 21164 or a single CPU 21264 for
that amount money.  Will a 4 CPU P6 be cheap enough and will it be stable
enough to use for heavy load?

Torbjorn