Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 1996 13:05:02 +0100 (MET)
From:      Bogusz Jelinski <bogusz@lib.amu.edu.pl>
To:        Flavio Genelhu Oliveira <boo@gold.horizontes.com.br>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X, My headache :)

On Sat, 5 Oct 1996, Flavio Genelhu Oliveira wrote:

> I am having terribles headaches to install and make X to work.
> I have a SyncMaster3 from SAMSUNG and a PCI SVGA board i can't
> determine its vendor nor type nor nothing :)
> Well, in the xf86config i put the hsync and vsync from the
> monitor's manual (which have a precision of three decimal
> points - i really don't have them with me now) and just to
> ensure compatibility i used the VGA16 server. When I tried
> to run startx the screen was in graphical mode, but with
> several vertical lines black and white. When i move my
> mouse, part of the screen bacame dark white. I also tried
> to change the server into the mono VGA, and into the SVGA
> server with the same result.

If understand you well you put the hsync and vsync instead of
choosing an option that is offered by the script
/usr/X11R6/bin/xf86config
That wasn't correct. When it asks for hsync type 4
(which is Super VGA 800x600 56Hz) then type 1 (vsync 50-70) -
it will let you concentrate on your card.
What is written on the card's chip? During the Xserver startup there
should be some info about it.
Configure it as VGA16 at 640x480
After that edit your XF86Config and check if the resolution
is set correctly, reduce the virtual resolution,
check the VideoRam (1024 = 1MB)  and the like.

Try the above and let me know if you're still in trouble.

Bogusz