Date:      Sat, 23 Jul 2005 21:50:57 +1000
From:      Emily Boyd <soc-emily@freebsd.org>
To:        "W. D." <WD@US-Webmasters.com>
Cc:        freebsd-www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD design proposal

W.D.,

> Are these templates going to be user friendly?  That is, since
> different individuals are responsible for updating different
> sections, can they do so easily, unencumbered by the formatting
> method?

Yes.

> Some other comments and considerations:
>
> I did a quick scan of the HTML on PostgreSQL.org.  There were a
> number of errors that hopefully would not be duplicated on
> FreeBSD.org:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/bmgrg or:
>
> <http://www.US-Webmasters.com/FreeBSD/Temp/PostgreSQL.org-HTML-Validation-Results.htm>;

PostgreSQL.org is valid XHTML, or at least was when it was handed over
to the website maintainers back in January :)

> During a link check of PostgreSQL.org I found a number of
> improperly terminated URLs.  The web server software is
> smart enough to redirect, but this does take a little
> extra time and CPU cycles:

That was thanks to a limitation of the CMS that PostgreSQL.org uses,
which could not handle some of the URLs if they had the / on the end.

> The mockups have a good overall color scheme--good work!  As
> mentioned previously, if FreeBSD decides to implement a logo
> in addition to the mascot, will there need to be a drastic
> change in the format?

Hopefully the changes wouldn't need to be too drastic, but I'm prepared
to rework the design once a new logo is decided on.

> PostgreSQL.org is 'graphics heavy'.  By this I mean that there
> are a number of places where HTML text could be used in place
> of graphics.  There are a number of reasons for this, such as:
> automatic sizing in various sized browser windows, and better
> search engine placement.  More discussion here:
> <http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-advocacy/2005-March/thread.html#2079>;

The images necessary to produce the FreeBSD design are minimal (10-15KB
maximum for the homepage), and images would not be used for headings.

Emily