Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 2003 16:46:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jeff Jirsa <jeff@unixconsults.com>
To:        Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple FTP servers with different characteristics on one server?

[ Sorry about the previous useless message ]

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> Greetings again. Under NetBSD, the inetd.conf file could have entries such as:
>
> 10.0.0.1:ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/libexec/ftpd ftpd -d -ll -c /etc/a
> 10.0.0.2:ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/libexec/ftpd ftpd -d -ll -c /etc/b
>
> Meaning that an FTP session request to 10.0.0.1 would use the
> configuration in /etc/a, while one to 10.0.0.2 would use the
> configuration in /etc/b.
>
> That doesn't work in FreeBSD 4.8: the first field is not recognized.

You can simply not use inetd, and rather, start the two ftpd processes
from a script.

You'll want the -D and -a options to ftpd.

Specifically, I'd assume the following should work, although I don't have
a box to test with at the moment:

ftpd -d -ll /etc/a -D -a 10.0.0.1
ftpd -d -ll /etc/b -D -a 10.0.0.2

The man page for ftpd that I'm looking at doesn't mention the -c
<filename> option, so even though you can have separate daemons running on
different addresses, you may not be able to specify the alternate config
files, and you may have to set the options you want on the command line.

- Jeff Jirsa