Date:      Mon, 27 May 1996 14:37:05 -0600
From:      George Simunovich <george@cia-g.com>
To:        george@cia-g.com, gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, gmarco@masternet.it
Subject:   Re: Problem with Adaptec 2940UW.

> I believe I have the fix for your "not booting" problem.  Please try to
>remove the block of code in sys/pci/ai7870.c that begins with the comment:
>
>        /*
>         * Ensure that we are using good values for the PCI burst size
>         * and latency timer.
>         */
>
>Even if it doesn't fix your problem, it should be removed.  I'm still
>looking through later revisions of the driver to find the second problem.

I made the change to the -stable code, recompiled and it still hangs at
boot if and only wide negotiation is enabled in SCSI-Select for my narrow
devices.  Just like before.

BTW, it hangs at boot after finding the wide device and before it displays
anything about the narrow devices.

Both of these problems only show up on the narrow devices and works fine
for the wide Seagate.

I've also tried each of the kernels around the dates where each problem
started with the same results.  The boot problem showed up around
1/7-1/8 and the other shows up around 3/10-3/11.  Do need me to send
anything like diffs between these kernels I've tried?

Is anyone running a combination of wide and narrow devices on the 2940UW
running the newer -stable kernels without problems?

George
george@cia-g.com