Date:      Tue, 02 Jun 1998 22:06:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      gpavelcak@philos.umass.edu
To:        Zman112233@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hello

On  2 Jun, Zman112233@aol.com wrote:
> What is FreeBSD?  Is it free Internet?  What is it?
>
> Zack
> zman112233@aol.com

This is an excerpt from "about.txt" included with, I think
RELEASE-2.2.6. You can find much more info at www.freebsd.org.

Greg
=============
About FreeBSD
=============

What is FreeBSD?  FreeBSD is an operating system based on 4.4
BSD Lite for Intel, AMD, Cyrix or NexGen "x86" based PC hardware.
It works with a very wide variety of PC peripherals and
configurations and can be used for everything from software
development to providing professional internet services.

This release of FreeBSD contains everything you need to run such
a system, including full source code for everything.  With the
source distribution installed you can literally recompile the
entire system from scratch with one command, making it ideal for
students, researchers or folks who simply want to see how it
all works.

A large collection of ported 3rd party software (the "ports
collection") is also provided to make it easier for you to
obtain and install all your favorite traditional UNIX utilities
for FreeBSD. Over 1300 ports, from editors to programming
languages to graphical applications, make FreeBSD a powerful and
comprehensive operating environment that extends far beyond that
provided by many commercial versions of UNIX.

If you are interested in more documentation on this system we
recommended that you purchase the 4.4BSD Document Set from
O'Reilly Associates and the USENIX Association,
ISBN 1-56592-082-1.  We have no connection with O'Reilly,
we're just satisfied customers!