Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 1996 00:27:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <hamby@aris.jpl.nasa.gov>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, bongo-interest@marimba.com, castanet-interest@marimba.com
Subject:   FreeBSD libmarimba.so available

I've compiled the libmarimba.so library for FreeBSD, which is used by
Castanet and Bongo, two excellent Java applications from Marimba
(www.marimba.com). I used the FreeBSD JDK 1.0.2 from:

ftp://freefall.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/LOCAL_PORTS/jdk102.tar.gz

and FreeBSD-current.  You will need to download the Solaris version of
Castanet Tuner or Bongo from Marimba's FTP site, and patch the startup
shell script to point to your installed copy of the JDK.  Then replace
libmarimba.so with the version available from this URL:

ftp://java.jpl.nasa.gov/pub/hamby/libmarimba.so.gz

(be sure to gunzip it first!).  I'll try to make a proper FreeBSD port of
this over the weekend, but in the meantime E-Mail me if you have any
trouble.  Marimba has developed some superb Java products, and it is great
to be able to run them natively from FreeBSD!

P.S.  You don't absolutely _need_ libmarimba.so in order to use Castanet
or Bongo, however it will act strangely if it isn't present.  It includes
a few native methods for deleting directory trees, cut-and-paste, and
pointing Netscape to the help files when you click on the Help menus (it's
only about 15k).  The rest is written in 100% portable Java code!

|Jake Hamby| Ask me about Unix, FreeBSD, Solaris, The Tick, BeBox, or NT, eh?|
"This space intentionally left blank."