Date:      Wed, 22 May 1996 17:44:16 -0400
From:      John Clark <jrclark@felix.iupui.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bad position of prompt after login

Hello all,

I was wondering if someone could help me understand the way the tcsh shell
prompt is positioned.  I have a motd file that is about 15 lines long, and
after it is printed, the cursor is placed on line 25.  Since I have a 32
line display, this clobbers the motd.  Not so bad on a 25 line display, it
just goes to the bottom, however, all other unix tcsh shells just move one
line forward of the current position to place the prompt.

I have looked through the .cshrc and .login files for the culprit, but it
would seem to be a function of the BSD tcsh itself.  After pouring over the
login.c source code, I see it is not there either.

Is anyone familiar with this?  If I su from line 32, it sticks the prompt
always at line 25, and I have to look to see the prompt.  I do not want to
put a clear statement into the startup script, as that is a poor solution.
I am emulating a vt220, and other unicies have no trouble detecting proper
screen size.  What to do...

Thanks,

		--John
		[jrclark@indy.net]