Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 1996 11:56:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Christopher J. Michaels" <cjm2@ACSU.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        rohit@cs.UMD.EDU
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Strange 'tip' and 'ppp' behaviour over USR 28.8

On Wed, 25 Sep 1996 rohit@cs.UMD.EDU wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Some really strange problems have been confounding my connectivity
> to the local ISP. I describe the problem below : would some care to
> offer some insight!
>
> I have a USR sportster 28.8K external FAX modem hooked up to COM2
> with Straight thru cable.
>
> I have a PPP and a dialup account from the local ISP (Digex).
>
> I am running FreeBSD 2.1.5.
>
> When I dial in to the ISP using 'tip', the connection goes thru
> fine, but I am frequently interrupted by moderately long periods
> of silence where my keystrokes are not echoed onto the screen.
> These keystrokes seem to be bufferred someplace (TCP??, remote modem??)
> as they spring back up after a while. I lose characters sometimes,
> but only very rarely.
>
> Since 'tip' seemed to misbehave, I tried configuring 'user PPP' on
> my machine with my ppp account and password at the same phone
> number. I get a "Dial OK' and then a 'Login OK', but the 'ppp'
> prompt never goes capital to 'PPP'. The CD LED on the modem stays
> lit for about 15 seconds and then goes off, indicating the line
> has been dropped. Digex assigns IP addresses to PPP clients dynamically.
> the only thing I have from them is their router IP address (not the
> server). This complicates the situation somewhat : dynamic configuration
> doesn't seem to be as well documented as the static one in the FAQ and
> the handbook.
>
> Would somebody know how to get me out of my misery? Does this sound
> like a modem speed mismatch or ill-configured modem problem?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --rohit.

A couple things, 1. Try logging in manually and see what happens, that's
the easies way to trouble shoot. e.g.
ppp>set line /dev/cuaa1
ppp>set speed 38400
ppp>set parity none
ppp>term
atz
at&f1
atdt 555-1212  <---put your own phone number ( I have the same modem and
                   these init strings work the best.)
CONNECT 28800
login: username
password: ********

You IP is 127.100.2.10 Waiting.....
              <---- at this point type "~p" which means go to packet mode.
ppp>
PPP>      <--- the capital PPP means that you are connected. Type:
PPP>show ipcp   <--- this will show your IP and the gateway IP, when you
                     get the gateway IP you need to add it to the routing
                     table.  If your gateway was 127.100.2.255, you'd type
PPP>add 0 0 127.100.2.10

   at this point you're good to go.

 -Christopher Michaels                         Student Consultant:645-3542
* E-Mail:                                           cjm2@acsu.buffalo.edu *
* Homepage:                             http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~cjm2 *