Date:      Tue, 05 Oct 2004 10:51:03 -0400
From:      Christopher Nehren <apeiron@comcast.net>
To:        Perttu Laine <pepe@kahvipannu.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: imapd problem.

--=-TlOO3DQL5CQzph7INSOR

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 17:40 +0300, Perttu Laine wrote:
> > 'sockstat -4 | egrep ":143\W"'
>=20
> -cut-
> root     inetd      531   8  tcp4   *:143                 *:*
> -cut-
>=20
> So. it's inetd. Now the question is why 'cause only ssh is not commented
> in inetd.conf (or then I should re-check it few times).
> And how I can stop that one?

Something running under the name of 'inetd' is binding to port 143 on
all inet4 addresses. Either that, or there's a bug in sockstat or the
kernel structures that it manipulates, though I've not seen mention of
that anywhere. Maybe it's an old instance of inetd from a changed
configuration? Perhaps you changed its configuration but forgot to
restart it?

Trust your tools, for you are lost without them.

By the way, please remember to CC the list when responding to people.
That way, your responses get archived for all to see years from now when
they have the same or similar problems.

--=-TlOO3DQL5CQzph7INSOR

--=-TlOO3DQL5CQzph7INSOR--