Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 09:25:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.hda.com>
To:        wyrdwulf@catskill.net
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: digital camera

> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of finally getting a digital camera.
>
> Is there one that seems to do "better" with freebsd?

I have a SONY DSC-S70 I like.  It uses the Sony "memory stick"
format which some may object to as non-standard.  The camera has
a USB connector and shows up as a disk (umass) device on FreeBSD,
so you don't need anything to hook it up to a USB equipped system,
at least for Macs and FreeBSD.  Windows needs a driver (which
comes with the camera) for some reason.

I've had two problems:

First, when you format the memory stick with the camera software
FreeBSD can't read the resulting "disk".  Instead, format the "disk"
that shows up using FreeBSD and then it works for the camera,
FreeBSD, and the Mac.  Don't know about windows.

This isn't too much of a problem unless you want to format to zero
out all pictures in the field.  Since I tend to copy off all the
pictures and then reformat it it works for me.  Also, budget for
a 64MB memory stick - it makes the camera much more useful.

Second, and maybe connected to the first, don't hook the camera up
to a Macintosh and then turn on the Mac!  I found out the hard way
that the Mac got confused, tried to boot off it, and then
reformatted the camera/"drive" and I lost 64MB of pictures.  I
don't know if that is because of my format on FreeBSD trick - the
Mac reads it fine if you hook it up while it is turned on.

It is amusing to see the trash can show up on the Mac for the
pictures you've deleted.  There must be a standard for deleted
files / empty trash can etc. at the umass level.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Fail-Safe systems, Agency approval