Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 13:58:20 -0500
From:      Mark <markm@online.dct.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        Juan Kuuse <kuuse@quik.guate.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound Card - pcm driver config problem

Thus spake Luigi Rizzo (luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it):

> > I got sound card driver configuration problems:
> >
> > Using the pcm driver to configure my CrystalWare CS4232 card, I can play
>
> CS4237 really... see msg below!
>
> > audio CDs, but I can't use any application ("Device not configured").
> > To make it work this far, I used the -c option at boot to use the BIOS
> > commands, as my BIOS is not PnP-aware.
>
> correctn, and your card is detected as unit #2 -- it means you should
>
> 	cd /dev
> 	./MAKEDEV snd2

Ok, now I have my card working, in a fashion like this.  What I want to know
is, why is the found device always 1 higher than the device configured in the
kernel?  Sounds like what was happening here, and it most certainly happened
to me.  If I configured pcm0, pcm1 was found.  If I configured pcm1, pcm2 was
found, etc.

Thanks,

--
Mark Maurer   markm@dct.com    Programmer,  DCT Technologies