Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 14:45:17 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        scott.mitchell@mail.com (Scott Mitchell)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), bakul@bitblocks.com (Bakul Shah), freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Clash of Titans - Tale of two Morons

> Very cool.  I have fond memories of Chorus, up until the time they were
> aquired by Sun and dropped completely out of sight.  Apparently it's now
> the base OS for one of Sun's RT Java OS products.  I don't know if this
> ever made it past the vapour stage -- we (Cambridge U, at that time) had no
> luck getting it, or indeed any information about it -- out of Sun ~18
> months ago.  Oh well.

Heh.  "Hard RT with garbage collection in deterministic time".

I have to believe it never made it past wishful thinking... though
I suppose you could intentionally burn equal amounts of NOP cycles
to ensure that when you did GC, it took the same number of ticks
with or without the GC.  Maybe you could dedicate a seperate CPU
to doing the job in the background.

Or you could always compile the Java to native machine code, after
unrolling the scoping and replacing the GC phase with explicit
frees; I was able to replicate many of the Java APIs in C++ pretty
easily, with the added requirements for explicit destruction on
scope boundaries for pointer referenced objects, and disallowing
unconstructed object instantiation (something the JavaMail API
unfortuantely does to excess).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---