Date:      Wed, 28 Sep 2016 10:54:50 -0400
From:      Steve Wills <swills@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Torsten Zuehlsdorff <tz@FreeBSD.org>, ruby@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Feature-Request: pessimistic operator in ports-tree

--mX8go5vhQm7TGUgEPs868Ae2Hn5mSjEAt
From: Steve Wills <swills@FreeBSD.org>
To: Torsten Zuehlsdorff <tz@FreeBSD.org>, ruby@FreeBSD.org

--T0nGbV7RdK90W1rNu0b2TjGp4E0DNv6iu

Hi,

On 09/28/2016 03:04, Torsten Zuehlsdorff wrote:
> Aloha,
>=20
> i'm working quite a while on the ruby-ports and it is often annoying.
> Even after excessive testing and some more real-world testing (thanks t=
> all helpers!) its totally normal, that thinks break.
>=20
> I found one of the main problems is the pessimistic operator in the
> gemspecs/Gemfiles. Buildtests of all dependencies run fine, we commit
> the update and than some Gem break, because it defined ~> 1.5.2 and you=

> just updated to 1.6. In the Makefile >=3D 1.5.2 says everything is fine=
=2E

To me it seem rather that the problem is gemspecs over-using or
mis-using the pessimistic operator. If the gemspec correctly specified
what actually worked, this wouldn't be an issue.

> I personally think most of the rubygem breakage can be prevented by
> teaching the ports-tree about the pessimistic operator. It is far easie=
> to build-test 300 dependencies than to really check if they are able to=

> start. Or even if they run correctly.

How would this help exactly? It seems to me it would make it easier to
figure out where the mismatch is but wouldn't actually solve the
problem. And this isn't even the hard part, building all the packages
doesn't really take much time. But you would still have to correct the
gemspec or create multiple ports/pkgs for each version needed. What am I
missing?

> What do you think about this?
>=20
> Also i believe its not a rubygem only feature. I stumbled across
> multiple software which expect an explicit version or an version range
> or even disallow a single version and accept all other.

I think a patch would help discussion. I'm not unsympathetic, it is a
pain. But I just don't understand how this would fix anything. Perhaps
some sort of tool that would check these things would be helpful?

Steve