Date:      Tue, 5 Feb 2002 22:10:37 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OT: Re: Learning the "correct way"...

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 03:07:31AM -0600, Len Conrad wrote:
> "man sh" plus the .sh examples in the sytem are fine, but I can't find a
> "Using the Bourne shell" on amazon or ora.com.  There's one for bash, for
> csh/tcsh, but not specifically Bourne.

The O'Reilly bash book, which I think is the one you refer to, is
excellent for learning the Bourne shell :-) I found it easy to work
through step by step when I knew very little, and the vast majority
of it is exactly the same for the two shells. In a few places where
Bash differs, the book lets you know. If you're not real hot at shell
programming yet, you probably won't be using many of the features that
differ anyway. You have the man pages to refer to, but the book
explains and gives examples.

Once you've made some headway with that small non-intimidating book,
get hold of "Unix Power Tools". It's large and expensive, but very
approachable at all levels and you'll keep it beside your keyboard for
years and years. It covers all shells, and more, and it will solve
every problem you ever face, short of a broken heart. Rumour has it
that the next version will include a coffee-making alarm clock and
egg poacher that will feed the cats and search for your cleanest T-shirt
while playing soft music until you wake up, running as a cron job
of course.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-