Date:      Sat, 6 Feb 1999 23:44:18 -0500
From:      William Lloyd <wlloyd@tolstoy.mpd.ca>
To:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
Cc:        Benjamin Gavin <gavinb@supranet.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DHCP Client??

On Sat, Feb 06, 1999 at 07:13:10PM -0700, Brett Taylor wrote:
> Benjamin wrote:
> >   Has anyone gotten a DHCP client up and running under 3.0-STABLE.  I
> > am interested in getting it setup, but I have heard there are major
> > problems. Anyone here have it functioning or can point me in the right
> > direction?
> I just installed isc-dhcp2 from the ports collection and ran it.  -shrug-

I'm also using DHPC now.  I have one machine running the isc-dhcp2 server
on 2 interfaces and the wide-dhcp client on still another interface.

I found that the isc-dhcp client has a bug and resets both interfaces even
if you only want one.  The mailing lists refer to a patch I never found.

wide-dhcp works nicely for FreeBSD client and is easy to setup

Install wide-dhcp
cd /usr/ports/net/wide-dhcp
make install
make clean

my ether net interface is de0, substitute yours everywhere

edit /etc/rc.conf and modify the following line
network_interfaces="lo0 de0"

create a file called /etc/start_if.de0
cat > /etc/start_if.de0
#/bin/sh
/usr/local/sbin/dhcpc -r -n de0 &
sleep 5				#I let it aquire and set the interface
ctrl-d to save the file

man dhcpc    read this for other options for the dhcpc command
The options above will clobber /etc/resolv.conf with a server
supplied value.

-bill

--
William Lloyd            mailto:wlloyd@mpd.ca  |  http://www.mpd.ca