Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 2002 23:17:23 +0100 (CET)
From:      BOUWSMA Beery <freebsd-user@dcf77-zeit.netscum.dyndns.dk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Userland ppp ppp.linkdown and pre-going-offline commands...

[replies sent directly to me may timeout and bounce, since I'm not
 online as often as I should be, but I'll check the list archives]

(not really about stable per se, but I don't know if it's appropriate
 material for -hackers or where)

The userland ppp /etc/ppp/ppp.linkdown script allows one to do things
when going offline, just as the linkup script can be used to notify
the world that one is online.

However, whether by design or otherwise, the commands in the script
as it exists get executed normally *after* IP connectivity to the world
has been lost, but while the physical modem connection remains.  This
is fine for things that need to be done locally, and it also means
these things are done when, say, carrier is unexpectedly lost.

However, this rather fails in cases where I want to notify, say, a
DNS service that I'm going offline.  The link is down, I try to send
an IP packet, it goes nowhere, but I'm still off-hook and the phone
line charges pile up until I kill the process waiting for a response.

What I'm looking for is something that gets executed when the link
is still up, at the time a graceful `close' or similar command is
given, and then after it completes, the link is brought down and
the present linkdown script is run.

I see in the ipcp.c IpcpLayerDown() k0deZ that this might be planned:
     * XXX this stuff should really live in the FSM.  Our config should
     * associate executable sections in files with events.
just before the linkdown script is processed.

Does anyone else see a need for a pre-IpcpLayerDown script that can
be used to run pre-logout commands that require connectivity (such
as updating DNS and mail machines and the like)?  I'm thinking of
just hack-adding a second script to be run earlier, but it looks as
if there may be a preferred way this should be done...

thanks
barry bouwsma