Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 2008 16:16:40 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't upgrade or deinstall phpMyAdmin

Mike Clarke wrote:
| FreeBSD curlew.lan 6.4-RC1 FreeBSD 6.4-RC1 #2: Sat Oct 18 23:08:47 BST
| 2008     root@curlew.lan:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CURLEW  i386
|
| I'm trying to upgrade phpMyAdmin from 2.11.5.2 to 3.0.0_1 but all
| attempts fail. If I try "make deinstall" I get the following result:
|
| -------------------------------------------------------------
| curlew:/usr/ports/databases/phpmyadmin# make deinstall
| ===>  Deinstalling for databases/phpmyadmin
| ===>   Deinstalling phpMyAdmin-2.11.5.2
| Segmentation fault
| *** Error code 139
|
| Stop in /usr/ports/databases/phpmyadmin.
| -------------------------------------------------------------
|
| Things go wrong very early in the process, here's part of the output
| from truss:
|
| -------------------------------------------------------------
| ===>  Deinstalling for databases/phpmyadmin
| wait4(0xffffffff,0xbfbfde38,0x0,0x0)             = 7 (0x7)
| SIGNAL 20 (SIGCHLD)
| SIGNAL 20 (SIGCHLD)
| sigreturn(0xbfbfdb00)                            = 7 (0x7)
| wait4(0xffffffff,0xbfbfde38,0x0,0x0)             = 1623 (0x657)
| vfork()                                          = 1624 (0x658)
| ===>   Deinstalling phpMyAdmin-2.11.5.2
| Segmentation fault
| wait4(0xffffffff,0xbfbfde38,0x0,0x0)             = 7 (0x7)
| SIGNAL 20 (SIGCHLD)
| SIGNAL 20 (SIGCHLD)
| sigreturn(0xbfbfdb00)                            = 7 (0x7)
| wait4(0xffffffff,0xbfbfde38,0x0,0x0)             = 1624 (0x658)
| fstat(1,{mode=crw------- ,inode=140,size=0,blksize=4096}) = 0 (0x0)
| ioctl(1,TIOCGETA,0xbfbfd700)                     = 0 (0x0)
| *** Error code 139
| write(1,"*** Error code 139\n",19)               = 19 (0x13)
| -------------------------------------------------------------
|
| I've tried portsdb -uf and pkgdb with the F, L and u options but still
| no joy.
|
| I'm not sure if this is relevant but a while ago I deinstalled apache
| 1.3 and php 4 but forgot to deinstall phpMyAdmin. Today I installed
| apache 2.2 with php 5 and unsuccessfully tried to deinstall the old
| phpMyAdmin before doing this. Apache and php installed OK and the old
| phpMyAdmin works but really ought to be upgraded. I tried to deinstall
| phpMyAdmin again after installing the new packages but still have the
| same problem.
|
| What should I do to persuade the old version to go?

Hmmm... not entirely sure what has actually gone wrong there, but I suspect
your /var/db/pkg directory is probably in a bit of a mess.  Deinstalling
phpMyAdmin is simply a matter of removing almost all of the files under
/usr/local/www/phpMyAdmin -- the only one the port tries to preserve is
config.inc.php

Can you try:

~   # pkg_delete -f phpMyAdmin-2.11.5.2

If the worst comes to the worst, you can do this (which is certainly *not*
recommended in the general case, just it happens to work for phpMyAdmin which
is a port without other things depending on it, and that installs everything
into one directory):

~   # cd /usr/local/www
~   # cp phpMyAdmin/config.inc.php /root
~   # rm -rf phpMyAdmin
~   # cd /var/db/pkg
~   # rm -rf phpMyAdmin-2.11.5.2
~   # pkgdb -F

Note: there's no need to reinstall phpMyAdmin because you've upgraded
Apache or even PHP.  phpMyAdmin is all native PHP code and identical
on disk for whatever combination of PHP interpreter and web server you
use.  You just need to copy the Apache config stuff into the new httpd.conf
(ie. based on what 'pkg_info -Dx phpMyAdmin' produces).

Note2: 3.0.1 will be out soon.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

- --
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       Flat 3
~                                                      7 Priory Courtyard
~                                                      Kent, CT11 9PW, UK