Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 11:38:36 -0500
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Long IDE probes?

On Wed, Sep 30, 1998 at 11:17:19AM -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Sep 30), Alfred Perlstein said:
> > why does it take a good 30sec at least to probe the IDE hardware? i
> > have ATAPI in the kernel, except for that, the boot squence would be
> > blazing fast.
> >
> > if i boot and someone walks past the computer i usually get asked:
> > "it locked up?"
> >
> > i don't see anything in LINT to shorten the time it takes to probe
> > the IDE devices, any suggestions?
>
> /sys/i386/isa/wd.c, around line 105.  Change the TIMEOUT value from
> 10000 to the 3000-4000 range.  That'll cut the max IDE probe time from
> 30 seconds down to like 10.
>
> 	-Dan Nelson

What I don't understand is the reason for the long probes (that is, more
than a second or two) in any of the disk devices.

IDE by definition is probed by the BIOS before boot.  Either the disk is
there or it is not, and you don't get out of POST and to Boot until that's
determined.  Therefore, a long wait there is COMPLETELY pointless.

SCSI devices similarly are probed by the adapter BIOS.  Again, there is no
reason for the long wait that I can fathom.

I have cut the SCSI timeout way down, and it massively shortens the boot
time.  I'll have to do the same for the IDE stuff, since I *do* have an
ATAPI CDROM (otherwise I'd just shut off the device completely).

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net) http://www.mcs.net/~karl
I ain't even *authorized* to speak for anyone other than myself, so give
up now on trying to associate my words with any particular organization.