Date:      Mon, 27 Jun 2022 01:07:39 +0200
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf@riseup.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Posting netiquette: HTML, attachments etc.

On Sun, 26 Jun 2022 20:59:04 +0200, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
>Note that the mailing list engine will reject html only email, html is
>fine as long at it is created with text/plain alternative.

Hi,

it is _not_ "fine".

>Note that only the text/plain alternative will be used to construct
>the archive, [snip]

This is what text/plain of multipart/alternative messages usually looks
like by this list's archive, as well as by the list's former mailman
archive:

https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-questions/2022-June/001448.html

It does exactly look this way, when displayed by Claws on my my machine
and on any other mailing list's archive. The reply starts below a broken
signature separator followed by a quoted signature. The broken signature
separator is not necessarily related to HTML. The reply itself starts
with >-char quotation mark, a common issue with HTML mails. A lot of
interleaved posting mails also look like this, at least then it's an
unreasonable demand to expect from a recipient to decode such emails.

Nothing at all is "fine" with messages that don't separate quotes from
the reply?

As a consequence:
https://lists.claws-mail.org/pipermail/users/2022-June/030466.html

Regards,