Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 01:28:21 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.dialix.com>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: /home/smp/sys/kern init_smp.c

Doug Rabson wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Apr 1997, Peter Wemm wrote:
>
> > Peter Wemm wrote:
> > > peter       97/04/19 08:35:16
> > >
> > >   Modified:    home/smp/sys/kern  init_smp.c
> >                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > >   Log:
> > >   change #include <vm/lock.h> to <sys/lock.h> - solves lockmgr panic!
> > >   update the idle proc create code to use the "new" style fork that doesn
    't
> > >   "return" from the fork() function call - it now boots!
> > >   (I'm running smp_active=2 right now)
> >
> > OOPS!  Slip of the fingers with a remote commit.. Sorry, this message went
> > to the wrong commit mailing list.. :-]  (Background for those on
> > -committers, the smp kernel was put on hold while the lite2 stuff was being
> > sorted out in -current.  It was resync'ed a few days ago, which broke it
> > somewhat.)
>
> I must be doing something wrong.  I cvsup'ed, updated and built but I
> still get the lockmgr panic :-(.  Are there any pending fixes that I don't
> have yet maybe?

Hmm.. No.. I have 4 other touched files, and they have #ifdef
WORK_IN_PROGRESS around the changes, this is not defined.

Did you rerun config and "make clean depend"?

I ran without APIC_IO and SMP_INVLTLB to start with, and am currently (in
X11) running with APIC_IO and SMP_INVLTLB.

peter@spinner[1:25am]~/smp/sys-107> uptime
 1:25AM  up 22 mins, 2 users, load averages: 0.31, 0.26, 0.18
peter@spinner[1:25am]~/smp/sys-108> uname -a
FreeBSD spinner.DIALix.COM 3.0-SMP FreeBSD 3.0-SMP #160: Sun Apr 20 00:05:32 WST 1997     peter@spinner.DIALix.COM:/home/peter/smp/sys/compile/SMP  i386

The other possibility is the difference in kernel configs..  Oh, are you
running P5 or P6?  There is a potential problem with tss descriptor caching
that might have come out in the P6 under SMP..

> --
> Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
> Nonlinear Systems Ltd.			Phone: +44 181 951 1891

Cheers,
-Peter