Date:      Thu, 9 Mar 2006 20:30:31 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soeren Straarup <xride@x12.dk>
To:        Nils Vogels <nivo@yuckfou.org>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS port using GEOM

--0-494171202-1141932631=:60677

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006, Nils Vogels wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> I'm reading up on ZFS, Solaris's new filesystem that has a level of RAID
> built in. You can read it too at
> http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/whatis/
>
> While reading the documents, I was really charmed by the features ZFS
> has incorporated, and was wondering if there was any effort within the
> FreeBSD community to port ZFS to FreeBSD (using GEOM would seem the most
> likely choice, so thats why I'm posting to this list.)
>
> Research on various mailing lists taught me that there is only a few
> mentions on the -hackers list in 2004, nothing else seems to pop up.
>
> Are there any plans or efforts to incorporate ZFS into FreeBSD, that you
> know of, or constructions with similar features?
> It would save me an install of OpenSolaris, plus the effort needed to
> learn the internals of yet another *NIX version :-)
>
> Greetings,
>
> Nils

I haven't heard of any one actually working on porting it.
So as i always say "send-pr with a patch" (;
I've looked at it the idea seems neat
But it haven't found the time, motivation and skills to try porting it.

Best regards S=F8ren Straarup

Soeren Straarup   | aka OZ2DAK aka Xride
FreeBSD wannabe   | FreeBSD since 2.2.6-R
   Incorrect documentation is often worse than no documentation.
   - Bertrand Meyer
--0-494171202-1141932631=:60677--